Marriage is a lifelong affair that should not be started on the wrong footing or shaky foundation; otherwise those involved would regret for the rest of their lives. There is need to get things right and start the relationship in such a way that it would last long and stand the test of time.
There are several reasons why you should save yourself for marriage and wait patiently until the wedding night. The night should be a time of discovery and presentation of the golden gift by one partner to the other.
Some of the reasons to wait until the wedding night therefore include the following:
1. Proper foundation: Marriage is expected to be built on a solid foundation; especially that which is supported by God. Keeping yourself therefore helps to lay such foundation that is devoid of sin. Hebrews 13:4 says that “Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge” KJV.
Abstaining from all forms of sexual sins before the marriage would help to prevent God’s judgment and preserve the sanctity of the institution. When the relationship is backed by God from the outset, it would be difficult for divorce to come up later.
2. Surprise: Keep the valuable gift for your partner and let him be surprised to discover you are still a virgin. You can imagine the unspeakable joy this would bring to your partner, and the respect he would in turn give to you. It is rare to find mature ladies that are still virgins: it would therefore be the gift of the century if you present it to him on the wedding night. He would live to remember it always.
3. Trust: Waiting patiently without defiling yourself would make your partner trust you to the point of staking his life to vouch for your faithfulness. He would never have any reason to suspect you even though he travels for business or other engagements, he is sure you would never mess yourself up. This is because he is able to trust you and believe you would always maintain your personal principles just the way you did before he met you. The same applies for a man who marries his wife without first having canal knowledge of other women.
4. Clear conscience: It brings a clear conscience; you would not have anything to hide. There are usually no past records of secret affairs, unwanted pregnancies, out-of-wedlock babies, etc to hide form your partner.
5. Prevents diseases: It helps you to come into the relationship free of any kind of sexually transmitted disease. A disease-free marriage would save you the heartache of running from one hospital to the other in search of cure for an STD.
6. Prevents guilt: One big problem couples are struggling with today is the presence of guilt resulting from their premarital sex. But this guilt feeling would be avoided if you are able to save yourself and wait for the wedding night as the best time to have sex for the first time.
7. Newness: Discovering yourselves for the first time on your wedding night would be such a beautiful experience; especially after waiting patiently to unveil the hidden treasure. There would be nothing new to discover if you had had it with him before the night. The excitement would be greater if you are discovering yourselves for the first time than when you have already seen everything and drunken from the cistern before it is officially presented to you.
There is beauty in waiting; it increases your worth in the eyes of your partner. It makes you a woman of honour and dignity. Why don’t you patiently wait until your wedding night and surprise him with the gift of your virginity?